Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Family Driven Faith - a book review

I finished reading Voddie Baucham's Family Driven Faith, last night. (I cherish my quiet evenings alone to read! Paul and the kids go to bed before 8.)

I thought this book had some really good material in it! It reads like a partial autobiography...with Baucham sharing his own journey in: becoming a husband, father, and spiritual leader in his home. He is honest and open in sharing his short-comings and successes. The prose of the book is an easy read.

However, some of the ideas may not be so easy for some to swallow. For example:
- Baucham promotes the idea of all families doing family worship regularly
- He is unashamedly a homeschool dad, and encourages others to rethink public education
- He supports the idea of family-integrated churches, and points out the short comings of age segregated churches
- He sees no reason why young men and women should not marry and have children while they are young (college aged)
- He encourages leaving your womb open to God's control
- He constantly brings up statistics that show how our children are leaving the church in droves... and how they have no worldview

While I love the book and agree with most of the points he made, I think this may be a love it or hate it kind of book. His language can be, at times, harsh to those who see things differently. The book has a loving, pastor-like tone. I have no doubt that he wants to see families grow in their spiritual lives! However, some comments will leave you saying, "ouch."

I do recommend this book. However, I can see that a lot of people will not like it, because it is so radical. Overall, I was VERY encouraged.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the spring there is a homeschool conference I hope we can go to, Voddie Baucham is a big part of that conference. What a blessing it would be to spend a day or two with like minded folks! Thanks for the book review. It's time for a little radical!

NYLass said...

My hubby LOVED this book - he's re reading it for the second or third time.
I want you to know that you're in my prayers.
sorry I'm such a slow typist, :(
peace,
Annie

Mama in Uganda said...

Aren't we as Jesus lovers to live a radical life?! That is what I desire more than anything else.

I sure do wish, more and more, that we lived closer. Have you read the Beverly Lewis Books series "Annie people?" Our friendship reminds me of Louisa and Annie. Precious.

100% agreement as far as demon/demonic activity in our childrens lives. I have "bound" evil influences in our children's lives on numerous occassions and almost always see break throuhg/freedom. A prayer I pray over the children is this, "dear Jesus, please remove all lies planted by the enemy in the hearts/minds of my children and replace those areas with the Truth of Jesus Christ." It was for freedom that Christ set us free.

Love from a Mama in Uganda