Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I need video suggestions

Okay, Friends - I need your advice!

Some days I am just too tired to pull off a full day of school. On those days I would love to put on an educational video that I can count as school credit (history, geography, science, music, creation, etc). My kids are all under age 10. They LOVE anything about natural sciences or geography. They will watch documentaries about people if they are not "scary."  Please add a warning if something is particularly evolutionary in its thinking, so that I can be forewarned.

We really like the Incredible Creatures that Defy Evolution series. So anything along those lines would be especially appreciated. We do watch the National Geographic films - and enjoy  them - I just like to be forewarned of the world view represented.

Please let me know any suggestions you have! My kids and I need your help.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We loved Microcosmos. Its breathtaking, especially if you love bugs.
Here is the writeup from Netflix.

Employing unique microscopic cameras and powerful specialized microphones, this highly praised French documentary is a fascinating look at the seldom-explored world of insects and other minute creatures as they go about their daily lives. With footage of ladybugs feasting and snails mating to a mystical score by composer Bruno Coulais, the film won five César Awards, including Best Cinematography and Best Music.

Bethany W. said...

Never heard of it, but I am intrigued. Are the mating bugs/snails age appropriate?


How have you all been? I hope your family is well!

Bethany

Unknown said...

Never seemed inappropriate to me. And it just blips here and there.
But then again I am not super prudish about stuff, lol!
If we were not meant to notice stuff going on in nature, then the animals would have been created to go and hide.

We are doing well. Check out our blog sometime. Baby pics are on there.
Paula

Anonymous said...

http://westernplainsfifeanddrumcorps.blogspot.com/2011/11/bicentennial-of-battle-of-tippecanoe.html

A 10 minute video of a commemoration of the Battle of Tippecanoe - 200 years ago. We just returned from Indiana! (shameless plug for Peter's fife & drum blog!)

-Mrs. B