We resumed our official home schooling y-day. We did a lot of learning activities while we were on break, but now we will be sitting in our room, at the table, more often.
While on break:
- Rebecca amazed all of us, including Grandpa and Grandma S, with her reading ability!
- Rebecca read to the little ones
- Rebecca finally started reading to herself
- Nelson loves listening to us read out loud from Narnia
- Nelson looked at science books, magazines, and more on his own
- Lydia enjoyed being read to
- they all watched educational videos on creationism, telling time, science, history, and more
- they all played board games and card games with each other and grown ups
The kids did fantastic in school yesterday! Nelson was WONDERFUL! He was really well behaved and seemed to want to learn! I had some trouble with Becca wanting to be the teacher, rather than submit to the teacher... But, the hardest part was my memory! Seriously, I am having some REAL trouble with my mind!
- I wrote the date on the board "January, Friday 15, 2010" I thought it looked a little funny
- I wanted to find James 5:6, for Becca to copy, but I could not for anything remember where to find James! So, when I started trying to recall the order of the books I thought "James, starts with J, after H and I." Hmmm, since when is the Bible in alphabetical order?!
- I played the Memory card game with Becca and she teased me terrible! She had at least 4 matches to my one. She thought it was hysterical that I kept flipping the same cards over and over. And, Nelson actually came along and told me where the matches were! Though, I told him I wanted lose "fair and square."
Well, maybe today will be better. Yes, we typically do school on Saturdays... we do that so that we do not have to feel as guilty when I am sick, or we want to go out of town, etc. (And, because Daddy never has Saturday off. His day off from Sears will always be Tuesday.)
Here is a picture of Josiah's first ever day at school! Isn't he huge?!