Saturday, June 19, 2010

Moderation in Food Preparation - Part 2

Reposted 11-04-2011: edited a very little for tone and content

Last Saturday we took Baby Josiah to the ER for an "apparent life-threatening event." My refrigerator was empty that day. I left the babysitters (Paul's parents) with no bread, no lunchmeat, no easy-to-fix meals, no freezer meals - nothing! I was running low on groceries and was trying to wait till the next payday to have a big shopping trip. In the meantime, I was going to make a lot of cheap meals that I knew I could make from scratch (anything with potatoes, lentils, flour, rice, canned tomatoes, etc). I could have gotten by pretty well for a few days. BUT, Paul and his parents did not want to make the meals I had planned in my head. Because, let's face it - though I can (usually) make meals with 5 kids fighting in the living room standing by, not everyone else can.

I decided to rectify the problem. I have grandiose ideas of having a stack of meals lined up in the freezer to be thawed out in a time of need. But, in reality, I know that will not happen any time soon. So, I bought frozen pizzas, hot dogs, and hamburger helper. I don't plan to cook those items, and I certainly don't want to eat those items. They are intended for Paul to make them. (Though to give Paul credit where credit is due - he did make bread from my usual recipe! And, it turned out nicely.)

So, the other night I was in the grocery store... and, on every aisle I was tempted by some favorite sugary snack: Doritos, soda, ice cream, boxed cereal, and more. I was somehow self-controlled enough not to buy any of these items. (If you are new to the blog, then I should tell you that we are not on a diet, I just have some crazy notions about food. I do my best to serve my family meals made without high fructose corn syrup, refined, sugar, and refined flour. You can read more about that in Part One.)

I came out of Wal-Mart and complained, "What is the point of denying myself ice cream and soda if I am just going to buy all this junk food?!" And, Paul's rebuke for my noticeably sour attitude was this, "There is nothing wrong with eating healthy. But, if it causes you to sin, then you have got to let it go." My husband knows me pretty well. He could see that I was really upset that I bought those food items. He knew that I was grumpy and snippy, because I cannot live up to my own standard. As usual it was a matter of unreasonable expectations. I have placed on myself these standards that are just about impossible to meet... then, when I fall short, I take it out on everyone else. I sin.

So, I am writing this to encourage you in your healthy living journey. It is great to read blogs by ladies who cook everything from scratch and you cannot find a single grain of white sugar in their home. BUT, it is easy to take a good thing and make it really ugly. My family sometimes HATES healthy food, because of my attitude when I cook it... because I get so grumpy... because I am so burdened.

Paul is always asking if my burden is from God or man. And, honestly, I know that God wants me to be a good steward of my body. And, He wants me to be a good homemaker. BUT, He does NOT want me to sin.

I thank God for placing me with a husband who wants to see me grow. I really needed his rebuke. Paul does well to remind me that my food "convictions" are not from the Lord if they cause me to sin. And, I am grateful for it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this, Bethany. It's something I struggle with as well.

Mama in Uganda said...

We are two blessed ladies--I too have a husband that is always "rebuking" me, in love, back to the Truth.