Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I'm A Liar

I said that we could not afford to eat healthy foods. I lied.

For example:
In our location in mid-MO farm fresh non-GMO eggs cost between $2.50 and $4 per dozen. I have been saying that this is too expensive for our family, because we can easily eat a dozen eggs a day. But, I realized something yesterday - Our family likes to stop by fast food chains for a quick meal at least once a week. We generally spend between $21-$28. So, if I would choose to use that money for eggs instead of fast food we could buy a dozen for every day of the week.

This morning I looked up Local Harvest and searched for eggs close by. I found free range (only!) eggs for $2.50/dozen. She may not have 7 dozen a week for me, but she will be able to sell me some.

Another example:
When we were at Sam's this past Friday I spotted pre-made ground beef patties for $3.15/pound. (I can't remember the grade of the meat) That's not a bad deal. Very tempting. BUT, our milk man raises their grass-fed dairy steers for beef. $3.15/pound... and very lean. Yummy too! (And, did I mention that our milk man delivers to our house!?)

The list could go on. Soda and other beverages are money that could likely be better spent. Same goes for fast food.

What unhealthy food/luxury could you give up to be able to "afford" real, local, farm-fresh food?

Disclaimer: Eating healthy and buying farm fresh foods is NOT AT ALL a salvation issue. It is of no great eternal consequence. Please do not think that I am judging you by your eating/buying habits. This is our hobby. This is our interest. This is our health. I will not think less of any reader who eats fast food 3 meals a day... truly.

2 comments:

MamaHen said...

Bethany, yep, I waste so much by not really thinking things through. I am trying to do better. It cost us even more to do a drive-through and after I purchase I start to think of all the things I could have bought at ALDI with that money. Sometimes things just happen and the drive-through is just gonna happen, but I really am trying to do better. Today when my hormones are shouting Chick-fi-a and a real Coke I am trying to surpress the "gimmes" and we are having taco haystacks and water at home for lunch. When I think about the pastor in jail in Iran and all the women who just wish they could feed there children somthing today it all puts it in perspective. We are so blessed with what we do have. Sorry for the novel.

Bethany W. said...

MamaHen,
Thanks for your comment. How did your cooking spree go yesterday?

I know what you mean about sometimes it seems like you HAVE to get fast food. I don't think our family will ever cut it out completely. I just want to go less often. And, maybe if I could get into a good routine of eating real, healthy foods I would not want fast food as often.

I wish we had Chik-Fil-A up here... then again, maybe it's good that we don't. ; ) McDonald's has their "southern style" chicken that is a decent alternative - so long as you don't mind where that chicken was born, what its been fed, etc.

Laughing at my own inconsistencies,
Bethany