Friday, June 5, 2020

What is your brand?

The other night I saw a sign for a certain farm store in an unfamiliar town and it got me to thinking.

Even before I saw the sign, I recognized the store by its color scheme, layout, etc. You know how when a new chain grocery store, gas station, or fast food place is being built in your town - and you can identify the building shape and color even before the "Future Home" sign goes up?

In a way, for better or worse, Christians have branding too. For a long time my outer shell reflected a heart of legalism within. People I passed at the store were able to brand me - "legalistic," "ultraconservative," "home schooler," or "fundamental," to name a few. They recognized my outward adorning before they could ever get a chance to see my heart.

I am sorry to say that within the past month I saw my older teens avoid an aisle at the store to stay far away from conservative Christians with a particular appearance. My kids felt judged just seeing a family that they have never met. I am sad about that. Yes, we have been wounded by ultraconservative Christianity. Yes, we wounded others when we were in some of the most exclusive sects of Faith. But, that does not give us the right to assume that those outward adornments mean that an individual is unloving or dangerous. Like I said, you may recognize the outward adorning before you see a person's real heart.

This isn't just about people who wear long skirts, or head coverings, or long hair. Think about it. What about a linen frock? A sari? Or a Kippah (Jewish hat)? Or Amish dress? Or any religion/sect that dresses in a marked way?

As for true Christians, our branding needs to fall in line with John 13:34-35.
I give you a new commandment: Love one another. Just as I have loved you, you must also love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciple, if you have love for one another. HCSB

Our brand is LOVE.

I am not advocating for any type of dress in this post. I am advocating love. I am saying that we should live in such a way that people can see our hearts. In a world where a person is certainly not encouraged to "wear your heart on your sleeve," I urge you to let love shine.
Matt 5:16 says to "let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in Heaven." (ESV, emphasis mine).
So, according to that verse - people are to be drawn to God, through me. I am to be life-giving and preserving like salt, I ought not to repel people. And, I should act in a way to bring glory to God.

Granted, I am still a sinner. A forgiven sinner, but none the less a sinner. Not every individual action of mine will bring glory to God. However, if I live my life in a way that oozes mercy for myself and others (yes, giving my own self grace for my own mistakes too. Because if God can forgive me, I should be able to forgive me). If I live in a lifestyle of continually looking to Jesus to help me to love more, to grow more, to give more - that WILL bring Him glory. The trajectory of my life will be an upward, Heavenward motion. It should have momentum. That brings Him glory.

So, what are you known for? What brand is your Christianity? Are people getting to see your true heart for the Lord? Is it possible that you are letting external adornments prevent others from see you... or preventing you from seeing others? How can you live in a way that best brings glory to the Father? What good works are you doing in the world? Is your behavior and righteousness surpassing that of the Scribes and Pharisees? (see Matt 5:20 in its context)

I am challenged. I was motivated to write most of this out in my journal the other night after my Bible reading.
I am challenged. How about you?

No comments: