Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Analogy - Turn this ship around

First, I have an observation about our family, then my analogy.

These past few years of major transitions in our family has been quite challenging (you can be sure that is an understatement). Some of our major changes were: a move in August 2018, putting three boys in school in August 2018, New Baby October 2018, two major surgeries in 2018, one major surgery in 2020, corona-trauma-schooling... to name a few. In all of that chaos, some of our family patterns and habits changed drastically.

Family worship became non-existent. Boys got out of chores and my oldest girl and I picked up a lot of slack. Kids became disrespectful as I became too overwhelmed to deal with it. Etc. You get the idea. I don't need to spell it out, because you guys have all been there too. When talking to a friend a few weeks ago, I told her that I feel like our family is a ship that has been slowly going off course. I know that changes need to be made and that we need to turn this ship around. We talked about which changes I most wanted to see. And, I walked away being encouraged that I could begin to make changes.

Now you guys know me. I am ridiculously authentic on this blog. I believe that honesty in relationship and/or mentoring is the only way to see real growth. So, knowing me- you are all thinking, "oh no, Bethany went home and wrote a dozen charts and intends to change her family overnight." Yep, the thought did cross my mind. But, y'all, God is changing me. He is growing me. And, HE KNOWS ME. So, He sent me a message.

A few weeks back I was returning home from a socially-distanced night out at a friend's home. I drove home through the country in the deep darkness (no moon). I know the roads, though I admit to being a bit afraid of the dark that night. Anyway, I went over a one-lane bridge that also turned the direction of the road a bit. I did not see what was ahead until I crossed the bridge into deeper darkness. It was black. My headlights were on, but it was blackness. The road disappeared. Water. A creek had flooded and my 12-passenger van was IN the water. The road had completely disappeared beneath me. I'm not embarrassed to say that I called Paul in hysterics. I was sobbing so hard that he couldn't even understand me. I didn't know how to turn around! There was no longer a visible road! Y'all, I'm covered in goosebumps just recalling it.

Paul spoke calmly to me. He said, "it doesn't matter if you make a 40-point turn about. Move only a few inches at a time." I did as he recommended. (The water wasn't moving, I was not in any danger of being swept away. I just couldn't see the road and I didn't want to get stuck there... in the blackness.) I must have made at least 25 wheel adjustments. Forward, reverse, forward, reverse, a few inches each time. With Paul's calming common sense and a lot of prayer, I was able to get back to that one-lane bridge without getting stuck.

A few days after I had recovered from the trauma of that, God started working on my heart. I was praying about the changes I was trying to implement in my home. And I felt God nudge my heart, "Turn this ship around." And the image of my being stuck in the blackness making a 40-point turnabout flashed in my head. I hear you, God, I get it. I want to turn this ship around, but I need to be patient and calm and make many small, sensible adjustments. 

You guys, God is Good. And He knows us well. And, I believe that if we listen for His guidance and encouragement, He will send them. And, whatever the ship is in your life that needs turned around - God wants to help you with that. You can see change if you just keep making one small change at a time.   

No comments: