Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Broken Vessels Drowning in the Storm

(Re-posted 8-14-2018. I try to be so careful not to write things that are "divisive," that I sometimes erase my posts. I need to remember that, though people may disagree with me, what I say may be helpful to someone.)

The things that break the heart of God ought to be the very things that break our hearts.

One of the things that breaks my heart is the HOARDS of people who are leaving Christianity, leaving the Lord, because they were formerly involved in a legalistic, religious group.

My heart is breaking. I have read enough of these blogs to have noticed a pattern. These people probably never had a full understanding of the REAL Jesus Christ!
You wouldn't want to walk away from the REAL Jesus.
You would feel LOVED by the real Jesus, even if you hate some of the groups that call themselves the church.

I do NOT mean this as an attack on those who have left "the faith." Believe me when I say that I do understand the battle! The battle to separate "is this really who God is" from "is this another lie?" And, I do not think it is a sin to ask questions to get to the bottom of why do we believe what we believe.

Some of the people who are leaving legalism for atheism were once strong "believers" in something. They worked hard to do everything that they believed the Lord wanted them to do. These are often the people who think in terms of a checklist - Am I wearing the right clothes? Check. Am I listening to the right music? Check. And so on.

 I know, because I am a recovering checklist Christian. And, the more items I could check off, the more assured I could be of God's love for me. Performance-based Christianity is not the true Gospel.

The problem is, so many of these checklists are purely man-made.

I am not recommending that we begin living without any law or governor. A Christian has the Holy Spirit to guide and direct his steps. But, I am suggesting that it is time that we stop making the Gospel harder than it really is. And, clearly it is hard enough just to believe and confess - or there would be a whole lot more Christians.

I am heart-broken for these hurting and broken "former-Christians" who have left the faith entirely!

I weep when I read their blogs.

I agonize at how close our family has come (at points) to following in the same path.

I want to throw out a lifeline to these people who are drowning in a sea of pain!

Would the REAL JESUS please step forward?! 

Father God, I am begging you to please stretch your hand to these dear ones of yours who are broken and faithless. You know the pain they endured at the hands of false religion. You see their secret scars. You know it all! And, you still love them. Show them how much you love them, Lord! Send genuine believers to help them bear their burdens in a loving way! Send genuine Christians who will love them! And, in doing so reflect your true heart for them. I know you as Helper, Healer, Friend, Savior, and so much more. Please reveal yourself to these dear hurting souls! Please don't leave them in despair Lord. Reach in and rescue your lost sheep, in Jesus Name, Amen.



No comments: