That is a great one-word description for the book The Backyard Homestead, edited by Carleen Madigan. This book contains a wealth of information about gardening, canning, cooking, keeping chickens, keeping livestock, and MUCH more.
What I love about this book:
- broad range of topics!
- charming illustrations on nearly every page
- it inspires me!
- very, very practical!
- it has suggestions for how to make a very small yard into a productive "homestead" (which makes it good for anyone, not just someone who wants to be considered a homesteader)
- offers good suggestions for growing fruit and nut trees
- it has directions for making yoghurt and several kinds of cheeses
- very thorough annotated bibliography!, so I know where to go for more information on specific topics!
There was so much helpful information in this book, that I am actually struggling to put it into words for a review. I do not recall any spiritual elements within this book, and NO mentions of "Mother Nature."
This is a fantastic book and I highly recommend it!