Friday, July 30, 2010

The Backyard Homestead - A Book Review

"WOW!"

That is a great one-word description for the book The Backyard Homestead, edited by Carleen Madigan. This book contains a wealth of information about gardening, canning, cooking, keeping chickens, keeping livestock, and MUCH more.

What I love about this book:
- broad range of topics!
- charming illustrations on nearly every page
- it inspires me!
- very, very practical!
- it has suggestions for how to make a very small yard into a productive "homestead" (which makes it good for anyone, not just someone who wants to be considered a homesteader)
- offers good suggestions for growing fruit and nut trees
- it has directions for making yoghurt and several kinds of cheeses
- very thorough annotated bibliography!, so I know where to go for more information on specific topics! 

There was so much helpful information in this book, that I am actually struggling to put it into words for a review. I do not recall any spiritual elements within this book, and NO mentions of "Mother Nature."

This is a fantastic book and I highly recommend it!

1 comment:

Holly said...

I have this book and this book is the reason I have started this journey into building my own homestead. It has given me some confidence that even I can do this too. By the way I am loving my homestead adventures...We have 50+ chickens now and 3 ducklings...We have a goal to buy a milking goat but that will be in the future....and we have already canned over 200+ jars of goodies for this winter....I have to say it all started with me reading this book and it helping me realize that even I can CAN!!! :)