Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Heroes of the Faith: John Newton - A Review


photo credit Amazon.com
We recently came along the Heroes of the Faith series at our church library. Our biggest book lover, Rebecca, claimed these right away! I now know that the books are rated for ages 12 and up (according to CBD, though they no longer carry the books).

The John Newton book was very informative and well-written. Rebecca and I found it to be a real page-turner! It only took me about 2-3 hours to read it, while Rebecca read a little every day for almost a week. The book would be an easy read for good readers under the age of twelve, but there are some adult themes in the book. For example, I knew that Newton was a slave trader, but I did not know that he was a man with man so many other lustful passions and pursuits. Though the book was not explicit, it clearly described many intimate sins. I was a little embarrassed as I read the book, because I let Rebecca read it first. (A side note: Parents, don't assume that children's books are safe for your kids! Read them first if you can!) Rebecca was bothered by the content of the book... it made her feel awkward, because she is old enough to understand the sins between a man and a woman, though she can not know the full meaning. She kept saying that she "did not like" the book until after John Newton got saved. I did not know what she meant until I read the book for myself. The information within the book is necessary for a clear understanding of the "amazing grace" that Newton felt/received. But, I would encourage parents to either 1) let only older children read this book; or 2) read it aloud and condense the rough spots.

Overall, I liked the book a lot. Rebecca and I both have a new love for the hymn, Amazing Grace! I plan to read all of the books from the Heroes of the Faith series that we found at the church. Though, I think I will read them to myself before turning Rebecca loose to read alone. 

No comments: